I find that now that DD is in high school, the homework tends to be research based. They do get math sheets in class, but many tend to get them done in class. But in Spanish she had to research a spanish speaking country and do a presentation on it in spanish. That is the homework. And trying to deal with so many subjects (her school is 10 subject based, 5 on each A & B days) So I am not sure what is busy work here. You have to do time management. The Spanish thing is over a few weeks, the history was researching Great Lakes treaties over time. Science tends to be rote, but it was broken down into bio, chem and physics, over 3 units. You have to learn the basics. So I am not sure why it is irrelevant to do homework. You have to learn the rules in trig in order to answer the questions. You have to know the formulae in science. You have to learn the language for computer. She has to learn thousands of Chinese characters. I think learning how to manage homework is a skill best learned in high school, not college. I do not think homework is a bad word in high school.