I asked my son what he thought. He sheepishly remembers making loud noises and hopping around when he was younger but says he doesn’t do that anymore. He said any movement will work so now he just paces if he isn’t able to just go for a walk or scooter ride. He also like walking around in the pool.

He said the important thing is being above to move and not needing to pay too much attention to your surroundings. So he prefers trails, tracks, and the really wide sidewalks in our neighborhood. On family hikes he’s usually in the back and has remarkable stamina. We reach the end and it is like he’s looking up from a book. We are sucking air and he’s all “That was a nice walk. What a nice view up here!”

You might read up on maladaptive daydreaming. It isn’t a recognized “thing” but there have been times I thought his “thinking” was excessive and kept him busy and not able to do it so much.

He said there are probably other kids at your son’s school that do it. He rattled off a list and basically he has never been the only one at his schools.

I didn’t get much else out of him. He was going on a scooter ride. 😀