I was assessed with an individual IQ test through my public school for qualification into the G&T program when I was 8 and got a 145; unfortunately I (and my parents) don't know what test was used or any of the subtest scores. The cutoff for the program was 130. In any case, I think the score is pretty accurate - I feel HG, but not quite PG. I later took the PSAT when I was 14 and got a 1400. My splits were 700/700, which I was surprised by because I'm more of math person. I believe I underperformed on math, based on my scores on other standardized tests. I was a National Merit Scholarship Finalist.

As a student, I was pretty lazy but also a perfectionist; this meant I did the bare minimum to achieve As and 100s. I should note that I grew up in a neglectful/abusive home and was certainly extrinsically motivated (to try to please my parents) when it came to academics. My elementary school had a gifted pullout program in 4th and 5th grades for a half day each week, which I enjoyed. I spent the rest of my time in school bored (but quiet) and worked ahead on homework/reading/workbooks, etc. I remember faking stomachaches from time to time because I really did not want to go to school. In 4th grade, my teacher tried to have me formally work ahead in math and sat me at the back of the class while he did his normal lessons, but I hated that. I barely tried because I wanted to fit in and I also wondered what in the world I'd do when February rolled around and I was done with the textbook. Middle school was a mixed bag and I was definitely more into my social life (but still got As), a trend which continued into high school. I was in an very good school district and was able to take 10 AP classes and all honors classes otherwise. I didn't feel particularly challenged, but did somewhat enjoy school because of all the socializing, lol. My favorite classes were BC Calc and AP Physics, but felt too much of the learning was by rote with little emphasis on truly understanding the underlying theories/principles that informed the problem-solving procedures.

I ended up going to an Ivy for undergrad where I had to really work for my grades for the first time, but my laziness won out in the end - I changed my major a few times and ultimately graduated with a double major in two subjects that I chose more because they came easily to me rather than because of the passion they sparked. I then went to Oxbridge and another Ivy for graduate degrees. I'm now a SAHM but have many regrets regarding my career because I didn't have the gumption or work ethic to pursue my true passion (physics).

Anyway, sorry for the tome! I'm not sure if that was helpful, but I also figure some of these details might be useful for any parents whose kiddos are experiencing similar things in their school/life journeys.