Hello,

We've just received the results back from my 8yo son's evaluation at Belin-Blank. We're going to have a phone call with the psychologist after the holidays to go over everything, but I'm impatient and have received such good advice here before, that I'm hoping someone can help me understand these results better!

The evaluator did tell us that these scores represent "the floor" as he put it, because my son has such a severe anxiety disorder, that presented in many ways throughout the eval, that he felt like it lowered his scores. He recommended we continue to try to get the anxiety under control (which feels rather hopeless, as we've been 'working' on that forever, to no avail) and then re-test in 3 years.

WISC-V

Verbal Comprehension 116 / 86th %tile
Similarities 12
Vocabulary 14

Visual Spatial 135 / 99th
Block Design 15
Visual Puzzles 17

Fluid Reasoning 134 / 99th
Matrix Reasoning 17
Figure Weights 15

Working Memory 103 / 58th
Digit Span 7
Picture Span 14

Processing Speed 92 / 30th
Coding 9
Symbol Search 8

GAI: 129 / 97th
FSIQ: 120 / 91st

**Could anyone calculate the Non-Verbal Index for me? It seems like that would draw from all the tests that my son performed well in, with the exception of Coding. Would the NVI be higher than the GAI?**

------------

WIAT-III

Total Reading 94 / 34th %tile
Reading Comprehension 100 / 50th
Word Reading 97 / 42nd
Pseudoword Decoding 94 / 34th
Oral Reading Fluency 99 / 47th

Mathematics 124 / 95th
Math Problem Solving 125 / 95th
Numerical Operations 119 / 90th

Written Expression 73 / 4th
Spelling 92 / 30th
Sentence Composition 72 / 3rd
Essay Composition 66 / 1st

---

As you can see, my son has Dysgraphia. We already have an IEP goal to address writing as well as accommodations for keyboarding and scribing, but I think we could be doing a LOT more. I hope we get some good suggestions about where to go from here.

We went to NAGC's annual convention a few weeks before we received these results and attended a presentation on Stealth Dyslexia, which really resonated with my confirmed-2e husband who had an epiphany that he was/is likely dyslexic. He shares much in common with our son. Do these results also point to Dyslexia in addition to the Dysgraphia we already knew about?

Would my son be considered gifted 'enough' based on these results, in terms of applying to certain programs which don't require any testing but are just stated to be for gifted kids? Obviously we're nowhere near DYS level, but I just mean like summer camps that are meant for gifted kids (in my son's strength areas of science/math/engineering-ish stuff, not anything language artsy) but don't require any documentation? I guess I'm asking if he's 'gifted enough' to likely hold his own in these sorts of programs?

He looks obviously 2e to me, but like... 2e on steroids? His highs are high, but dang, his lows are really low. Really discrepant and asynchronous. He was full-grade accelerated from 1st to 3rd based on a CogAT he took last year, plus he receives subject-acceleration in Math. My worries now are that we accelerated based on the school's recommendation and solid evidence-based science, to build on his strengths, but seeing how very low his scores were in writing and reading makes me really worry about him not having had that extra time to shore up those skills. Plus, even though he has innate math talent (he can derive answers without seeming to have learned how, and he doesn't know his math facts well but can multiply and divide correctly regardless...), he doesn't *enjoy* math. He's SO not a mathy kid who asks for workbooks and we don't work on it at all at home.

I feel a little bummed that the GAI isn't 1 single point higher, at 130, because while I know intellectually that IQ exists on a continuum, that 1 point would represent the difference between gifted and not gifted by many people's standards. My son's school uses the CogAT to determine inclusion in their GT program, and he scored exceptionally well on his last CogAT (better than on this IQ; up in the 140s), so I'm not super worried, but he is due to have another CogAT administered at the end of this year for possible further inclusion in GT clusters and such, and I just think that, even though CogAT scores are almost everything to the school, having a 130+ on an independent IQ test would have given me some more room to advocate for his inclusion should he have an 'off' day when he takes the CogAT again. 2e is tough.

Anyway, I'm rambling. I'd appreciate any feedback that you guys can offer. Thank you so much!