Regarding your question about considering homeschooling, my answer is a resounding yes.

My now adult son is 2e with dyslexia (he also has other diagnoses: APD, ADHD, SPD, vision issues, even Asperger's, though that ended up being wrong). He is HGish, in that his GAI is high, but not quite in the HG range. However he presents as HG with high creativity, and this has gotten more and more apparent as he has gotten older.

I started homeschooling him in 2nd grade. Homeschooling allowed us to remediate his weaknesses while letting him fly with his strengths. It even allowed us to turn what was a perceived weakness (math) into a strength.

I honestly don't see how 2e kids, especially HG 2e kids, ever get appropriate remediation in a classroom. My goal was not only to get his academic skills up to average for his age, but to align them with his ability. In other words, instead of targeting the 50th percentile for his age (or, worse, the 16th percentile, or whatever it is they target in schools), I was shooting for 99+.

The thing about homeschooling is that it can be all consuming, and with a 2e kid, you're probably not going to get a curriculum in a box that works. Everything needs to be customized. So, you really need to be on board in order to make it work.