Hello,

I've been checking out all of the Davidson forums and after reading some topics here, I'm wondering if my daughter is 2E. I've been suspecting Sensory Processing Disorder for about a year and started trying to get an evaluation with the DOE last winter. This summer, we have been going through evaluations with the DOE and the Child Mind Institute and have our first meeting with the DOE this Friday. We have received results from her WISC-V and Woodcock Johnson IV Tests, administered by the district, and the discrepancies between them are confusing to me.

Basically, the psychologist reports that she's "extremely intelligent" but the WJ-IV test results are mostly average. They are saying that there are no discernible LDs but if her achievement scores don't align with her intellectual abilities, it seems something is getting in the way, no? Perhaps the sensory integration issues? On the WISC-V, her Coding and VSI seem low in comparison to her other scores. I'd greatly appreciate any help interpreting these. I'm so new to this and I'd like to attend the DOE meeting with a deeper understanding and armed with the right questions and the ability to advocate for my daughter.

WISC-V

Verbal Comprehension: 37 (Composite Score 150)
Visual Spatial (Block Design): 13
Similarities: 18
Matrix Reasoning: 14
Fluid Reasoning: 31 (Composite Score 131)
Digit Span: 17
Coding 11
Vocabulary: 19
Figure Weights: 17
Full Scale 139

WJ-IV

Reading: 100
Mathematics: 116
Letter Word Identification: 110
Applied Problems: 129
Passage Comprehension: 91
Calculation: 102

Since I've been suspecting SPD, I requested that she also be evaluated by an OT. Their report recommends two sessions per week. The OT told me at the end of the evaluation in July that she'd work up a "sensory diet" of activities for my daughter to do daily. I'm hoping to hear about that at Friday's meeting and start that process as well.

Overall, we've been seeing a gradual decline in performance as the demands of formal schooling have ramped up. The more she has to sit still and do worksheets, the less she functions. In nursery and pre-K she was always developmentally ahead and she seems to be working at grade level most of the time now, even in subjects where I know she is definitely able to do higher level work. When I started questioning that 18 months ago in kindergarten, I was told the teacher didn't really have time to address it. So we tried to work ahead at home to keep her interested and challenged. When I questioned it last year in 1st grade, especially in math, I was told she doesn't work fast enough to merit doing 2nd and 3rd grade math at school even though she does it at home. Seeing these results, maybe the processing speed has something to do with that? She has started to show anxiety around math, reading, and timed tests which breaks my heart.

Thank you for any help or advice you may be able to give me. I have loved reading through past postings and have tried to glean wisdom and courage from all of your experiences. I'm so grateful that I've found this community!