This is not an article, but I have a couple bits of advice. I have done an undergrad degree as both a traditional student and a non-traditional student. Here's my advice based on those experiences.

1. Make sure your professors know you by name. You can do this by asking interesting questions, or just engaging them in a conversation outside of class. This is important because when things come down to some sort of subjective decision that has to be made this will help tip the scales in your favor.

2. If you are going to work a job while going to school, treat choosing that job the same way you would picking a major. Both times I've been through school, the line between student job and professional work was much more direct that the line to my degree.

3. You don't have to go to college immediately. (Unless there's some sort of scholarship involved.) I was much more attentive, and responsible the second time when I had a respect for what life outside of college was like, and how much school costs. I also got better grades.

4. Live in the residence halls. This is an easy way to get to know people outside of your classes and comfort zone.