Sheesh, indeed! wink

Originally Posted by Val
No, that is not the summary of this thread.
Even after re-reading this thread, I would still summarize it as Meritocracy -vs- quotatocracy.
Specifically: Admissions via Meritocracy (test scores) -vs- admissions by quotatocracy (demographics).

Upthread, you described an institution keeping women, Jewish people, Asian students out regardless of ability.
Such policies of admissions/rejection based on demographics would be an example of quotatocracy, rather than meritocracy.

Originally Posted by Val
I...will re-explain my position here.
No need; those interested can read your post upthread.

Originally Posted by Val
It's hard enough to discuss something like this in an online forum without someone trying to frame difficult discussions as an us-vs-them thing.
Low-income students ... middle and upper income students
low-income students... higher SES
low income students... higher SES students
Some may say that your post frames a difficult discussion as an us-vs-them thing: dividing by income.

By contrast, the OP shows that three NYC specialty schools serve a population of whom at least 60% are low income, qualifying for free or reduced price lunch. Therefore your division by income appears to be erroneous.

Originally Posted by Val
Please don't oversimplify complex situations
Due to the number of low income students at three of the NYC specialty schools (as expressed in the OP), your division by income appears to be an oversimplification.

Originally Posted by Val
I think it's important for a government (in this case, the school system) to provide that help.
the city should be striving to educate EVERYONE to their potential.
This thread has included exploration of various factors impacting student success and admission to NYC specialty high schools, beyond the government-provided schools... including level of parental support... valuing education... providing and/or seeking out-of-school enrichment opportunities... learning about specialty schools... registering one's child to take the SHSAT admissions test.

Originally Posted by Val
hence my idea to make a new school....
It seems you may agree with me on this idea?
(The article suggests two new schools to increase the number of seats.)
I have been suggesting creating more seats to meet demand, for about 5 years.
Purpose being: admissions by meritocracy (not quotatocracy... not lottery).