No, that is not the summary of this thread. The situation is far too complicated to be described in such simplistic terms. I understand that not everyone can see this fact and will re-explain my position here.

Low-income students often need extra help in areas that middle and upper income students don't. I think it's important for a government (in this case, the school system) to provide that help. Hence my idea to make a new school with a lot of slots for low-income students.

The fact that low income students may lack skills that other students learn due to higher SES shouldn't be used to take opportunities away from higher SES students who passed a test that the city administers. Again, hence my idea to make a new school....

Please don't oversimplify complex situations. It's hard enough to discuss something like this in an online forum without someone trying to frame difficult discussions as an us-vs-them thing. Again, as I said, the city should be striving to educate EVERYONE to their potential.

Sheesh.

Last edited by Val; 06/18/18 01:47 PM. Reason: clarity