Originally Posted by Cranberry
Originally Posted by Thomas Percy
I think a lot of the people think the CTY award ceremony as silly. I know we were not interested in going even if it is offered this year. This may explain why going forward there may be less of them?

Who exactly are "the people" that think it's "silly"? Those who look down on awarding academic achievement and would prefer to go to a football game?

About 1,000 kids were there last year (and 2,000 at Duke TIP), so apparently a lot of folks don't find it silly.

(fewer)

Sorry I missed this post.

People around me who have kids qualified for the award and didn't go to the ceremony. A few of them may be football fans but I would not know that, and most of them have Ph.Ds so I assume that they value academic achievement as much as I do.

CTY did send DS his pin despite cancelling the award ceremony. But we had already decided we weren't going to go even if the ceremony took place.

I simply don't know I would consider the CTY honors an academic achievement. A 2nd grader spent half an hour taking a test doesn't seem like something needed to be rewarded. I may feel differently for those who qualified in an older grade with SAT 700 at age 12 or something.