I have heard of correlation between Ehlers Danlos Syndrome and slow processing speed.

http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....4283/Gap_between_processing_speed_a.html

There's also strong correlation between Ehlers Danlos and ADHD. But I think there's more than meets the eye there. Dysautonomia is a common comorbitiy of EDS and dysautonomia conditions tend to result in cerebral hypoperfusion, which may present as ADHD. I likely have HSD, definitely have POTS, and was misdiagnosed with ADHD. My son has slow processing speed (21st percentile) and was diagnosed with ADHD, but I see he has some signs of dysautonomia too. So is it ADHD or another manifestation of hypermobility for your son?

And correlation between Ehlers Danlos and Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder. OCPD is nothing like OCD at all, but addresses perfectionism and excessively methodical traits.
https://www.jove.com/visualize/abst...tween-joint-hypermobility-syndromeehlers

It's also normal for highly intelligent children to lag in executive functioning skills until middle school years.

And the behaviors you mention sound eerily like underachieving. The book Why Bright Kids Get Poor Grades by Sylvia Rimm may help you clarify if your son has more executive function weakness or maybe slipping into underacheiving... or both! Positive Reinforcement can SERIOUSLY backfire for underachievers. For a different way, read Punished by Rewards by Alfie Kohn, followed by Transforming the Difficult Child by Howard Glasser and Jennifer Easley.

I would suggest exploring the poor fine motor skills. Is it physical? Is it neurological?

I would also sa to trust him when he says school is boring. A low processing speed score can skew that FSIQ. My son's first evaluation was age 6 when he had 21st percentile processing speed. His FSIQ was 68th percentile, and GAI was very close. At age 8, after ADHD diagnosis and treatment, his processing speed was 50th percentile and his FSIQ shot WAY up, GAI was suddenly 99.8th percentile. HUGE difference. And to think I'd spent those 2 years thinking he wasn't really so smart after all. :regrets:

I would suggest pursuing all angles further and research the less obvious implications of hypermobility on academic performance.

Last edited by sanne; 05/25/18 11:36 AM.