My first two had recurrent ear infections. DS1 getting ear tubes at 11 mos., 3, and 5 years. DD didn't get tubes until she was 2 because the doctor wanted to keep putting it off to see if she could get through the season. DD had speech and reading intervention in pre-k through 1st grade. Both DS1 and DD have terrible spelling. We would study for hours and they'd only get a few right just to forget the spelling the next time--even simple words. Both love stories, but became very proficient at a young age at downloading audiobooks from the library. They still choose to listen instead of read because reading makes them "work too hard." I was reading a book on dyslexia this year and it talked about different ways it can present itself. I read to DS1 that some people say the words shake and mix and he said, "That's me! That's what happens to me." DS1 was put in a GT pull-out class in Kindergarten without testing. It was just the teacher's call. Honestly, I don't see that he has any real difficulty reading now, although DD's reading is still halting (not fluent.) Spelling for him is still difficult and handwriting is terrible. He is in all Pre-AP classes in 6th grade which also double as GT classes for the school and he does really well. He enjoys the academics and teachers don't take off points for his spelling or handwriting which I was surprised about.

Just looked at DDs "word attack" on the Woodcock Johnson. It was 98. From what I understand, where we live, nothing above 90 receives special services even if there is a large gap between verbal and written performance.

I have insecurities about homeschooling. I tried to homeschool DS3 for a month and I loved working with him, but I fear that I wont do well enough. He also misses kids a lot and I am an introvert. The thought of orchestrating social interaction causes me extreme stress. We might have no other option though. The doctor gave him pain medication to take before school in the morning and he says it does help.

I really truly appreciate the conversation. Thank you for talking me through this.