I am not so naive as to think that everyone with less student loan debt will ask for less compensation, but I will note that those with higher debt are forced to seek higher compensation. One of the reasons my sib in family practice is able to maintain (barely) a private primary care practice open to underserved populations is that med school at an elite was accomplished without any student loan debt at all--but that's also owing to the investment of a few additional years and effort into an MD/PhD. Peers from the same med school cohort did not have the same option, since they had to find specialties and positions that would optimize student loan payback in short(er) order.

And I would agree that primary care and almost all pediatric specialties are significantly disadvantaged by the current reimbursement system. Which, incidentally, also disproportionately affects female physicians.

On another note, I admit to considerable ignorance regarding economics (but I have friends who are economists!), but I'm still finding aquinas and tigerle's exchange quite entertaining. wink

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...