madeinuk: unfortunately, we are not in the US and cannot apply. frown

Thank you everyone for your input, comments and links to other threads. I am super grateful this group exists, though i sometimes feel like i spend way too much time reading through the threads. I can't believe how hard the decision was for us. Both schools agreed to place her 1 grade ahead. I came to realize that solely bringing an IQ report is insufficient and was armed with a recent report card, letter from her preschool, and sample work. I even printed off a few grades of the provincial math curriculum and asked her teacher to check off what she has completed so far. Of course, that made me a little sad knowing that she will have completed 3 grades worth of math in 1 year. I also made sure they knew that we were not trying to rush her, but felt that moving her up one grade would make it easier for the teacher to accommodate her. We also didn't think that being told she is the smartest kid in the class was good for her development, and she needed to learn the same skills everyone else got to learn in order to ensure her success when she was older. She needed to learn how to struggle a little bit and deal with challenges. I definitely made sure not to use the word "bored" or "gifted"!

After much debate, we decided to put her in the G&T program. The teachers and admin seem to "get" gifted kids, and even confirmed there would be approximately 3 HG/EG kids in her class. From what i'm told, they accept kids who score in the 95th percentile.

Thanks again everyone!

Last edited by ann55; 03/26/18 08:02 AM.