Originally Posted by ann55
indigo - I get frustrated and mad for other parents when I read through their stories on this board!
Me, too. But we cannot make progress based on emoting... only based on facts and evidence, both empirical evidence from research studies, and anecdotal evidence from lived experiences. So we shift gears from emotion to fact-gathering, prioritizing, and presentation.

i was told "studies have shown grade skipping showed disastrous results."
I would politely ask for his sources/resources... which studies? I would read anything he provides and analyze the study itself... population size, length of research study, etc. But my guess is that he may have nothing. Either way, I would read up on the acceleration resources linked upthread, and share those with him for his consideration. I would offer to meet to discuss the resources. If you are choosing NOT to attend that school, you may still wish to send a link to the resources of the acceleration institute... as your paths may cross again.

the convenient 2 minute walk is weighted pretty heavily on the pro list
There are pros and cons to everything. As long as you and your spouse agree on a decision and understand why it was the best (or least-worst) option at the time, you are in a good position to deal with any downsides together.

I am now putting together a package
Excellent. Keep a copy for your family as well. Arrange everything by date in a ring binder so you have information readily available as needed for any future advocacy.

Many, if not most, gifted kids may experience appropriate academic challenge and intellectual peers largely through after school activities, enrichment, gifted summer camps, etc.