Originally Posted by Cnm
Originally Posted by Aufilia
Could a motor issue be included as an "other health impairment" in an IEP, even if it isn't a Specific Learning Disability? Just trying to think up anything helpful. smile

Possibly. I asked them if it would help with IEP eligibility if we got a medical diagnosis, and they said it wouldn't.

This is true as I understand it. I belive with a medical dx you can definitely get the 504. I am having the same arguement with my district right now over dyslexia. My child has a formal diagnosis, but the refused to evan evaluate him for an IEP on the grounds that he reads on grade level (though they declined to prove it with a better test than the STAR).

However, this whole process has re-motivated me to finish his (and his sister's) DYS application, so I just did that. They're both within 4 points of the DYS cut offs, but he has large discrepancies between his math/reading/writing composites, and she's almost even across the board. So we'll see.

I don't think DYS can necessarily help you with the IEP since the issue isn't related to giftedness. But the GIEP... maybe? You might also look for an organization that does disabilities advocacy in Nevada. I got some great info from an organization in my state about our IEP situation. You may or may not also have a state ombudsman for special education attached to your stay OSPI you could consult with, if you haven't already.

Last edited by Aufilia; 03/13/18 12:19 PM.