I wonder if maybe many gifted kiddos need to know "why" rules exist in the first place. It's not enough that there are rules, they need to understand their purpose in order to respect them.

DS8 started to challenge rules and try to find loopholes and question everything when he was about 3 years old. He would literally say "You're not the boss of me!". At that age, it was simple enough to tell him that mommy and daddy had very important responsibilities to care for him and his brother otherwise we might go to jail. At age 5, you'd obviously have to be more sophisticated than that. I would suggest trying to enlist her help. Explain that the rules and directions are for the safety and wellbeing of the family and to ensure that everything runs smoothly. And praise her when she is helpful in that regard.

And maybe you can explain that there are times when you can be flexible and other times when you can't (e.g. safety, trying to rush out the door, and so forth). And point out when you are being flexible (yes, you can read for 10 more minutes before turning out the lights) so that she sees that the rules are not overly rigid.

Though if it's the challenge of the game that she enjoys, maybe offer other games instead? Get her into riddles and wordplay and math questions?

But ultimately, it's probably healthy that she's doing this and it will fall into place sooner or later and you'll realize she's not doing it anymore. smile