I wish I could give you a hug. I'm old enough to be your mom, and I can completely relate to your story. I understand your anger. My parents insisted that I was smart and should be doing better, but didn't understand how far away from the norm I really was or how that might affect my learning style and ability to make friendships. They still don't get it. They don't get my kids either.

Don't give up. If you can possibly find the time, and the money, finish college. Major in anything. I dropped out twice before finally finishing. I'll never be a neurologist, but I am glad I have my degree. But if you can't find the time, the money, or inclination, then stop worrying about it. Many brilliant people have dropped out of school.

Don't limit yourself. You're 25. I'm sure that feels ancient. I remember being 25 and I felt ancient then, but I'm almost twice as old now and I don't feel any older. How's that for irony? Life is a marathon, not a sprint.

Find a therapist. Check out Paula Prober and her Rainforest Mind website if you don't have the time or money to meet with someone. Her blog might resonate with you. If not hers, there are quite a few out there for gifted adults.

Be a fierce advocate for your DD. Standing up for my kids and striving to support and understand them and their issues has helped me to understand and accept myself.

I couldn't agree with your more on the spelling or language change. My DS threw a massive fit when his brother called him a Nube the other day. Or is it Newb? Noob? Who knows?

I hope this helps a little bit. These are the steps that have worked for me. If nothing else, I can totally relate to how you feel, and I'm sure that there are more of us out there.