Just an update as the school year is progressing: We found out last week that DD has been flagged by the school's testing as reading below grade level and will be going to the pull-out reading support teacher for an hour a day. While reading with her at home (enforced now due to both teachers assigning reading to a parent as homework), I've been kind of shocked at how little she seems to have retained from her work in K. She must have memorized more books than I realized, because I'm not sure she can read more than a handful of words when taken out of context. It's also clear that she is reversing or confusing many letters and can't distinguish vowel sounds.

We had planned to wait until the teacher conferences in late October to talk with the school about having them do a special ed evaluation, but now I'm starting to feel more urgent about it. What will maximize our chance of success (where success is getting the school to do an LD evaluation)? Let the teachers observe her for a few more weeks and then share our concerns at the meeting and see whether they agree with us that she needs evaluation? Or should we try to get the process moving now, since the school has now identified their own concerns about her reading progress?