Emigee, I have a dd with a reading challenge - my advice is if you have a gut feeling that your dd is struggling, I'd pursue testing. Don't worry that you'll test and then find out there really isn't an issue - f you find out there isn't a challenge... that's a good thing!

aeh has given you great advice re next steps - I have two more options to suggest, based on our experience. If you can find a remedial reading center or SLP etc near you who will test for reading challenges including dyslexia, you could consider going for a reading evaluation first before a full neuropscyh exam, since in the case of your dd it seems that your concern is clearly focused on reading. Our dd was tested through a more global educational evaluation before she was evaluated at a reading center local to us, but the reading center's eval was so thorough it was worth it's wait in gold (and it cost us 1/10th or less of what a neuropsych eval costs here). We came out of that eval knowing exactly what our dd's reading challenge was and what path to pursue for remediation. In our case, we chose to stay with the center and use one of the center's tutors, but we alternatively could have chosen to do the recommended remediation at home if that was what we had preferred to do.

Second thing to consider - has she had her vision checked? My oldest dd struggled tremendously to learn to read but we had no clue it was related to vision until we were far enough down the path of concerns about potential LDs she had a full neuropsych eval, in which she had a WISC where her scores were as flat across the board as can be except for two specific subtests which require visual acuity - and she bombed those two subtests... fortunately her neuropsych was partially covered by medical insurance....otherwise that would have been the world's most expensive vision appointment ever! The gotcha on dd's vision though was that she had 20/20 eyesight, but her eyes didn't track together at all, so she was either seeing double vision or one eye would shut off and limit her peripheral vision severely. She was having headaches too... and never mentioned any of this once to her dad and I - she was young and just thought everyone in the world saw two of everything and walked around with headaches all the time. She was referred for vision therapy, and after around 6 weeks of vision therapy she started reading like gangbusters and morphed into a kid who spends her life with her nose in a book... lots of books since she reads very quickly now.

Trust your gut - if you feel something is up, get it checked out. We are not able to get my dd who has the reading challenged diagnosed until the end of third grade, and by then she'd become so adverse to reading that even though she caught up and surpassed grade level after a year with a tutoring program, she never developed a love of reading and still avoids it as much as possible.. which means that she also has missed out on tons of critical vocabulary development because she doesn't read as much as her peers. You're fortunate your dd likes to listen to audio books - keep her listening!

Best wishes,

polarbear