We were very surprised by the working memory score given that my son's long term memory is amazing. He has been giving driving directions to us since he was 2.5 in his car seat for very long road trips, remembers actual birthdates of our family and extended family etc so long term memory is quite good. She explained that working memory is entirely different from long term memory. Also our school uses the map scores I posted to identify for enrichment, however enrichement at our very small school is not pull out until 6th grade anyway. The school physcologist stated last year stated that his map score of 213 (94% percentile) last spring at end of 2nd grade qualifies him for G&T identification for math. 213 is fall of 5th grade average score from what I am reading, am looking at this correctly?? Which that score even I do not understand as he has not had math content beyond 2nd grade when taking this test? So how did he get that score? The reading was not quite as high, but is still at a beginning of 4th grade level so certainly ahead but closer to 75th or 80th percentile, but given how he scored with reading comprehension on the testing we had done, I am surprised that one is not higher honestly. Also while I do understand 111 is far from "Gifted" at the cut off of 130, wouldn't his actual score be closer to the highest score of 124 if working memory and processing speed are things you can improve upon? He is a very strong personality, he has a hard time shifting from one activity to the next and also is quite competitive. He knows what his scores are and even sometimes the scores around him and is quite hard on himself if he doesn't do as well as he thinks he should. I certainly try to tell him to focus on the content and learning and not the scores but he wants to know etc. I know he has done well with math so far this year as the teacher indicated at back to school night that they were learning place values. When another Mom asked about enrichment teacher explained that she is able to take the current lesson and make it specific to each child's abilities, for instance some kids were doing 2 or 3 digit place values, some were doing thousands or tens of thousands. I ask my son which numbers he was working on with place value and he tells me hundred thousands. He gets frustrated so easily and I want to help him improve upon that. I honestly do not care if he is identified as G&T. I think if I could improve the processing speed or working memory with therapy the frustration my be helped? We have a 504 meeting coming up and if there are exercises he could be doing at school to help with those things, I want to request them. Thank you all very much

Thanks,
bb