My understanding is in the US for the BA/BS degree you are required to take a minimum of "general ed" requirements that include some humanities. Doesn't matter the major. Art school and engineering schools included.

On the other hand some school accept more AP credits than others. So for many students their high school AP literature and history classes count and they have to take very few in university.

My son who is started a large state university in the fall, all students take one core writing class as a freshman. Since he didn't take any humanities AP courses and he didn't pass the minimum writing level, he will have to take 3 writing courses to graduate 1-2 which can overlap with his need for one literature style course. Plus an upper division writing class in his major. He has already covered the math & science requirements. He roughly needs to cover 8-10 GE courses.

As for different course loads in early years than colleges that provide both 2 and 4 year degrees? This depends on major. My local Community Colleges (2 years) are designed to stepping stones to 4 year degrees. In order to transfer one is required to take a minimum GE requirements, plus a few classes in their intended major. Theoretically so they can walk into a university and finish in two years.

But certain degrees like those in Engineering or Art have such tight schedules that really one needs to start the major classes right away. I found in looking at university's in the US it really varies.