Originally Posted by puffin
In the US do you have to do humanities papers? Here if you are studying sciences you would do 3 to 4 years of maths and sciences but no humanities unless you wanted to and could fit them in - my degree was four years of compulsory maths and engineering courses.

This is how the dross like social hypochrondria, grievance nurturing and angling for unfair advantage classes get funded in the US from what I have heard and seen. They blantantly hijack STEM courses and force those students to attend these classes.

Once upon a time taking humanities was an enriching experience but the politicization of the humanities these days means that a lot of them are a waste of time and merely teach cynicism - defend an argument you believe in and fail the class or parrot the expected argument and get an A.

I have spent a lot of time and effort doing my best to ensure that my daughter values all points of view and is compassionate to all creeds, genders and races. I am certainly not going to pay for a bunch of loonies with self esteem issues to ruin that.

Last edited by madeinuk; 07/23/17 04:17 AM.

Become what you are