Originally Posted by Val
I don't believe that "anyone" can perform at a gifted level by virtue of hard work. If that were true, 2/3 of my high school track team should have gone to the state track meet, because that number worked incredibly hard (the coach gave us no choice). Plus, lots of soccer players should make the all-stars team and most incoming freshmen should pass that relatively basic math test they have to take. But only 10% of my team went to States, fewer still make the All Star team, and a majority fails the basic math test. Etc.

Hard work is necessary for performance at a high level, but talent is an entry requirement.

Lies! Fake News!

2/3 of your high school track team SHOULD have gone to the state track meet.

Anyone can be awesome if they follow the Formula to Success, which involves hard work, grit, and more hard work. And grit. Also work. But grit is really the thing. I'm pretty sure that "not having enough grit" the final answer to the age old question: "Why do most people fail to win the Olympics?"

If everyone about themselves more and had more self-respect, we would have more Winners! and less losers.