Originally Posted by Platypus101
So all that to say, our experience is that remediation (any kind) isn't fun. Really, really not fun. But if you've got the right kind of remediation happening, the actual function being remediated - like reading - should be getting easier and more appealing, even if the repetitive remediation itself is not.

Ditto to everything above, especially the quote above from Platypus.

I also took a quick look back at a few previous posts, and I'm wondering - did your DD have a diagnosis of Developmental Coordination Disorder? If she did, even if she's been through OT work for handwriting, part of the issue with the writing and throwing pencils etc *might* be the DCD. Our ds has DCD, and even though we had him go through handwriting for OT when he was first diagnosed, and the OT worked well to give him legible handwriting but handwriting was still incredibly frustrating and challenging. He began using scribing and keyboarding in school the year he was diagnosed and that made a huge difference.

I'll also add that personality can come into play too - both in how a child feels about having a challenge and how they feel about working on remediation and using accommodations. We have two 2e children, and while both have had to deal with frustrating challenges, the way in which our dd deals with frustration made her challenge a whole level deeper in terms of figuring out how to help with remediation and accommodations. For both of our children, we've had to do a lot of thinking through how to deal with the 2nd e looking through the filter of their own personalities. Hope that makes sense.

Best wishes,

polarbear

ps - forgot to add, my dd has a reading challenge and has been through LMB-based remediation. I don't think she ever did *anything* in writing with her reading/spelling tutor.

pps - also wanted to add - no matter how much remediation etc, some things might always be challenging for our 2e kids. My dd has made huge strides with reading and spelling, but spelling will most likely always be difficult for her. She also, in spite of all the gains she's made with reading, takes in information much better via listening. DS began keyboarding and never looked back re handwriting. He's made huge strides in written composition but writing will never be something he enjoys.

ppps - Getting through those early years of remediation was tough but also so very very important. When we were in the thick of early remediation with ds it was difficult to ever see the progress he'd made because it was all such a continuing struggle to work through things that were tough for him. His SLP made a suggestion that we have him repeat one specific type of exercise every 4-6 months so that we all (ds and parents and SLP) could see how far he'd really come. Even ds found that to be encouraging.

Last edited by polarbear; 06/17/17 01:11 PM.