DD7 has struggled with reading and writing since K. I was on here asking advice about a possible grade repeat at the end of year K. We chose to keep her going as reading and writing were the only issues, and she could conceptually keep up. We are now halfway through year 2, and she is still finding reading and writing/spelling challenging. We had an assessment with a speech pathologist this year, and she agreed there is a gap between her potential and her ability, and she has started weekly speech therapy sessions. The problem is she does not like the therapy, and today I had pencil throwing refusal to do the homework for it. I am not sure what is best to do. She has tried really hard over the last couple years, and she has been making progress, albeit slow. She is now attending a multilit program 3 mornings a week at school that also targets her reading. She is happy to go to that, and it does not involve homework. I don't want her to be doing homework she really dislikes when she does try hard at school all week. I don't want her to hate reading and writing, but I also want to ensure that she is getting the support she needs so that her literacy skills don't interfere with her learning. So I am wondering if this is a time to push and try to get her through the speech homework, or if the support she is getting through the school is enough and I should back off on the speech. When she was in K we worked through the ABC reading eggs program at home, and the explicit phonological instruction in that really helped her along. We have done some Literacy Planet this year, and that is helping her too. I am wondering if working through a program like that which she does get a bit bored of, but is willing to work through with me would be better than trying to push her through something she is actively resisting.

She resists writing more than reading, I think mostly because she finds spelling so hard.

What have others with dyslexia or reading challenges found to be most effective?

I hope this is somewhat coherent. I am tired and a bit stressed with the uncertainty of how best to proceed.