ADHD is a diagnosis of elimination, so it's normal for neuropsychology to identify discrepancies but not actually diagnose ADHD. Just some of the things *I know of, in my family* that can cause ADHD-like symptoms are lead poisoning, attachment disorder, sleep disorder, anxiety, traumatic brain injury, and orthostatic tachycardia (resulting in cerebral hypoperfusion).

Neuropsychology identifies the discrepancies, while a therapist and/or pediatrician rules out the mental health and physical diagnoses which can cause the symptoms of ADHD. If no other cause for the symptoms is found, THEN the child receives an ADHD diagnosis and treatment may proceed.

Her report details these behaviors because they are significant behaviors in future diagnosis of ADHD, and because inattentive behaviors are likely to lower his scoring.

I strongly recommend pursuing ADHD evaluation. When the cause of his inattention is discovered and treated, I strongly recommend repeating the IQ testing.

My son's first IQ test resulted in FSIQ of 68th percentile - high average. After ADHD diagnosis and treatment, his GAI was 99.8th percentile. You and your son's school may be underestimating his ability and his lack of proper educational setting may be significant.

Last edited by sanne; 05/26/17 08:47 PM. Reason: Typos