Originally Posted by Pemberley
I haven't seen AT guy's recommendations but I think he gets it and will bring in appropriate technology, apps, programs, etc. But what do I ask for in terms of the actual learning to take notes.

Originally Posted by Pemberley
Voice to text is her best option but she feels uncomfortable distracting others in the room. She can type but feels like it breaks her concentration. Right now she focuses intently and relies on her memory. Former AT person suggested she just take a few minutes afterwards to make some voice notes but I don't think this ever happened. Learning real time note taking is going to be needed in addition to learning how to use technology to record and make notations so she knows where to go back and listen.

I wouldn't recommend voice-to-text for note taking during class. DS also has the same issue with typing. My suggestion would be to have a goal in her IEP for her to use whatever audio-recording app/device the AT person suggests, maybe 1-2 times per week, with instruction in how to mark sections she will later want to refer back to. I would also ask for some 1:1 instruction in basic note-taking "theory" - which for a student using audio recording is going to be focused on recognizing where you want to make a mark to return to later and how to make the mark so it's meaningful. Hope that makes sense.

There's also the aspect of note-taking as it applies to studying from a book - I don't know if that's something your dd is needing instruction in, but it's something that can be incorporated into the app or she might rather use an app where you create notecards etc....

My ds is notoriously not great at either of these note-taking skills, and relies heavily on memory. I think in large part this is not due to the AT, but more so due to not having specific goals to work on toward this goal - it took us until last year just to get audio-recording written into his 504 plan, and the discussions in the meetings with a few reticent teachers who thought it shouldn't be allowed were not exactly helpful in encouraging him to use the accommodation now that he has it. Aside from accommodations, I also think there's an executive-function-esque component to note-taking that ds struggles with.

Good luck with your IEP meeting!

polarbear