Thanks to everyone for their ideas and links.

We decided to put the private school on the back-burner, possibly for three years, or until high school. The high school courses offered are really what we were drooling over, anyway. Meanwhile, we are saving what we would have spent per month for the school so as to more easily afford it in three years if that is the way we go. If not, there's a public school option that looks to have equally high-quality level choices for high school.

But there's a catch.

It's become increasingly obvious to us that we need to move about 45 minutes out of this district to where both that private and public school are located. What is not so obvious is when. We really love where we live and moving would be emotionally difficult; for my husband and son especially. And the better school is in a high-cost real estate location. Our lifestyle in the country would be no longer, unless we see a significant rise in income. (Which would likely entail DH traveling from home a lot.)

So the trade-off becomes one of losing our chosen lifestyle for a better school fit. But in three years, who knows? Things change and that school district may loose it's luster. I highly doubt the district we are currently in will rise in ranking much.

For now, our tentative plan is to put DS in the middle school (6-8) next year for his sixth year and ask for TAG identification and any acceleration we can get. Then wait and see what develops. Admittedly, I and DH have not spoken with the principal of the middle school yet. Once achievement testing scores are available, that is something we need to do. But if things don't go well, we could end up pulling DS during the school year, which we don't want to do again. *sigh*

Meanwhile, this summer will be spent taking a speed reading course, getting his first rocketry certification, more swimming lessons, music lessons and just messing around.

I can't help feeling like we're kicking the can down the road, though. And are we making a selfish decision by not being proactive for the upcoming year? DS is change-adverse and so his vote goes to staying put. But knowing he can't see the whole picture academically, his vote doesn't have as much weight, obviously.

I think we have mentally exhausted out and that's not good.