Originally Posted by ConnectingDots
Originally Posted by frannieandejsmom
Originally Posted by ConnectingDots
they were sure he wasn't gifted,

We looked at a local private gifted school for ds11. They told us they didn't think he could handle their math program, which is +1 to the local schools. The program he was in had him in is +2 by 7th grade (Algebra I) . He is beyond that and is currently +4 (taking Algebra I as a 5th grader).Needless to say, the school turned him down with his IQ just below DYS cut off.

Wow. That's ridiculous. What was their rationale/evidence? (By now, I know they don't always have any logical reason...)

We were told they don't deal with kids like him. (We found out about 8 months ago he is on the ASD spectrum (formerly Aspergers). We also know (one of the teachers at our public school has a friend who teaches at the private school) they do have 2E kids at the school. They had a new admissions director last year when we were looking. She only lasted the year. We received an invitation to come for a visit about 2 months ago. Needless to say, he aren't going forward with that process again. DS is in a happy place right now. I think the only benefit for us seeking a gifted school at this point, would be the enhanced science. DS STILL talks about the 2 days of science class he experienced during his visit.