Executive functioning is a topic near my heart. My DS10 is in 4th grade with ADHD, social pragmatics impairments, and executive functioning issues. Here are some thoughts:

1. You want to get your DS an evaluation. Executive functioning deficits can stem from a few different issues.

2. We've tried all kinds of organizing methods. Simple works best for us-- accordion folders, sticky notes in the planner with one or two important reminders to pick up/hand in homework, short lists for prioritizing homework.

You might consider a reward system for writing down homework assignments. We eventually had to resort to a bonus screen time reward because my DS simply could not remember to write things down without an incentive.

3. If the executive functioning stems from ADD, you might be able to get support at school.

4. A launchpad at home- a dedicated table, mudroom, etc. Somewhere to put/find things that is constant. He will need this throughout life when he begins to lose phones, keys, work papers, etc.

5. Homework- same place every night (preferably a place with few distractions) no exceptions. If you can't do homework at the same time- at least shoot for a homework routine.

6. Simple calendar- it may take a long time for your DS to consistently refer to a calendar, but eventually he will...it will help him consider long term planning.

If the issues are mostly organizing (vs. starting/completing tasks, organizing thoughts or other academic problems) consider your son fortunate.

Lastly, if your son is experiencing school anxiety, it's important to talk with the teacher. School anxiety is the worst- we had to deal with this last year. Dropping a tearful, worried nine year old off at school every day just broke my heart. Kids with EF issues *try*- they *want* to do what comes easily to other kids, but it's so difficult and they need support. It's absolutely unacceptable and unkind for a teacher to ridicule a student.