My high schooler is on the debate team, so I think he will consider the team listening to him rather than staring him down. The pros might include DS explaining why he cannot get his thoughts on paper, but being very verbally articulate at the same time. Why he needs a MacBook and an iPad in class. Why he can do anything at night, but his homework until 11pm. Why just being sent to the school library is not proper remediation.

For my middle schooler? Perhaps some of the time he should be in the waiting room, but he needs to speak to the IEP team. DS school needs to knock it off with the punitive removal of gym and recess. DS needs to explain what his needs and wants are. DS school does not attend the IEP meeting. His school phones in. What is actually happening gets lost in the paper work. I think the meeting will be really validating for DS.

I agree that it depends on the child. At least with my large district, IEP meetings can be an assembly line. As far as my district is concerned, classification entitles you to X, Y and Z. I feel if DS attends his meeting his unique needs will be brought back to the discussion. At least I hope.