Big sigh...

Visited the tiny private today. Despite my intriguing conversations, their enticing website and raves from people who are familiar with them it was a huge disappointment. Every question about how workarounds for LD issues would be handled was answered with comments about laziness, fear, unwillingness to try new things, need to adapt, having learned to tell themselves "no" when faced with a challenge, etc. Zero flexibility. I don't know why they talk about individuality - there is none. Turns out to have a *very* strict structure. It did not bare any resemblance to the conversations I had with them. Bummer...

But even worse was the effect on DD. All those terrible voices in her head from early in her journey when people just couldn't believe any of it could be real. She was so shaken up.

After dropping her back at her spec Ed school DH and I has to sit with her and the SW for a half hour in order to debrief. As DD said "This experience opened so many old wounds..." She kept saying "Why would anyone say that to a kid? Especially a kid who has worked so hard and is trying to transition out of a special Ed school?"

So unless I can locate another viable alternative that has a chance of "getting it" I guess I have to focus instead on redoubling efforts to get the spec Ed school to meet her high level needs instead.

So disappointed...