DD loved some of George MacDonald's works-- and Betty MacDonald's, too wink at this age and slightly younger. They both make great read-alouds.

(The Princess and the Goblin, in the case of the former, and Mrs. Piggle Wiggle in the case of the latter, incidentally.)

Also count us as another family that got a lot of mileage out of the Oz books. DD was another young lady who appreciated Jane Austen enormously, so I hope that her other favorites might be helpful to you.

She also likes Connie Willis' sensibilities. Her sense of humor is terrific. Ahh-- she has another set of time-travel books, set in WWII London during the Blitz. DD and I both have enjoyed those (though she is a bit older than the child in the OP's post)-- something about being asynchronous is treated very seriously by those books, that's all I'll say about that. It's a very deeply resonant and seldom well-explored theme. But Willis treats it quite seriously. It's the ONLY book in which a "solution" involves time travel, as far as I'm aware. Great, great themes in that one-- as long as your child is prepared to manage the darker themes inherent in the era, and the topics of, say, The Blitz.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.