I hope it is not bad style to start another new thread so soon, but I wanted to ask about parents' experience with various school approaches to discipline - what board members have been impressed with and what they've been disenchanted with; what works fairly, what is counterproductive.

I've witnessed two general techniques in my short-lived experience with schools: (1) prompt isolation, where the child is removed from the playground/classroom after two infractions of the rules (e.g., name-calling; this was in nursery school). This was a disaster for DS.

(2) His current school keeps a chart at the front of the classroom with colored bits of paper for each pupil. The initial color is green; after one infraction, the pupil is made (before the class) to change his/her color to yellow for the day; two infractions leads to orange and five minutes off recess; three to red and ten minutes off recess; blue means a visit to the principle and a note home. Perfect children who stay on green all week get some kind of sticker.

What do other schools do, and what approaches are most effective while still demonstrating respect for the child?