Hello, all. I am trying to get ideas for tackling one of our more frustrating school problems. DD10 is in 4th grade ina public gifted program. This program, for grades 2-4, accelerates about one year in math pretty rigidly. (5th grade is a little different because of a new middle school math program with a more flexible online component. DD has always loved math, but hates it in school, partly because they have been so incredibly resistant to acceleration. She is likely 2E and definitely struggles with anxiety, perfectionism, sensory challenges, and some behavioral challenges which have improved over the years. A recent outside psych eval suggested a subclinical rating for ADHD. We do Beast academy and fun conceptual stuff at home as possible, but she struggles with homework loads and extra material does not always fly.

She scores above standard at least 2 grade levels ahead on the state tests, and at standard much higher. She recently was given the WISC-V and the WIAT-III (Though exhibited pretty variable compliance and poor attitude through the test). Her WISC scores were pretty consistently MG. FSIQ 135. Her WIAT was all over the place in ways that look familiar (i.e. Math Problem Solving 160, 99.9 percentile, numerical operations77th percentile). Her reading, listening, and writing sores have simmillarly wide range).

We are heading into a 504 process soon, but I am frustrated. It seems like, for this kid, elementary math has just been torture. She's always been the kid that will run with a logic puzzle or a story problem, but acts like you are killing her with any hint of operations drills. She spent 20 min the other night chattering to me about the applications of the Pythagorean theorum and binomial trees. Even if we afterschool with math, she still has to slog through what they give her. In our state we could typically pull her out and homeschool for math, but the gifted program says it's their nearly universal policy to not permit kids to stay in if they do partial homeschooling. I think the assumption around here is that parents are trying to push their kids past their tolerance.

We have talked about leaving the program and asking for a grade acceleration, but she would have to change schools and leave her friends. Ditto, other options. I am not even sure what to push for.

Has anyone else been in similar shoes? Thoughts or suggestions?