As aeh mentioned, the scores look like they are reflective of DCD. I wonder if it's also possible that his lower Visual Spatial score on the WISC, as well as some of his behaviors during testing, might be related to vision challenges. It sounds like Vision Therapy has helped, but he might still have some relative challenge attempting to keep his eyes focused. It's also possible that his DCD contributed to those behaviors.

As aeh mentioned, DCD can look like ADHD, particularly in younger children. Our ds who has a DCD diagnosis had an ADHD diagnosis also when he was first diagnosed at 8. The ADHD diagnosis was based on his teachers rating scale and a computerized test of ef. The behaviors that his teacher saw in class looked very much like adhd, but they were really the result of DCD - either directly related to his DCD challenges or related to coping behaviors caused because he was unable to complete classroom tasks in the required amount of time due to his DCD. It's not easy to tease the two apart on a rating scale of observed behvavior. When ds was re-evaluated by the same neuropsych at the start of middle school, he lost the adhd diagnosis.

Re what to add to his IEP - that really depends upon what his needs are at school. It sounds like he has typical accommodations for DCD, although those accommodations will most likely need to be tweaked a bit as he matures. What types of accommodations did the psych recommend for ADHD? Do you feel like they'll benefit your ds? Some accommodations are useful across diagnoses.

I also really empathize with your desire to help focus him on his area of strengths - it's tough in early elementary when the 2nd e can require intense remediation and/or accommodation, often it seems like the chance to focus on a child's strengths is lost, and honestly, to a certain extent, it is - until the 2nd e has been remediated and appropriately accommodated. Try to remember that all the work you and he are doing to learn how to cope with his 2nd e - whether it's DCD or ADHD or both - is going to be key in allowing him to be where he needs to be in a few years, when his ability to build on his strengths will really kick in.

Best wishes,

polarbear

ps - I'm just curious - did the psych who did the current testing say anything about his DCD? It's certainly reflected in his test scores.

Last edited by polarbear; 09/15/16 12:58 AM.