I believe my points must not have come across clearly. Or perhaps my data sample is skewed. In our area, there is a mix, but it tends to be a lot of families with gifted and or asynchronous kids.

First, I in no way am against homeschooling. We have considered it multiple times. (Funding a high performing district, sending our kids to a parochial school instead.) What I was trying to convey is a sense that it is becoming what a growing number of parents feel they must do to give their children an education at each child's speed.

Eventually, those children will be the adults with a better foundation for managing life in times of high-speed change (along with some of those who have been at private schools). Meanwhile, pretending to differentiate (difficult if not impossible in most systems as aeh described) instead of clustering, tracking or whatever term one uses to put together those at the same level doesn't deliver a fitting education for those in the public school.

We are well aware here of common negative effects of bad educational fit. I'm saying that those who will experience it as these programs disappear won't be those whose parents who can manage homeschooling or private school. Thus, a worsening situation for the children who deserve education at their levels and for society...

Last edited by ConnectingDots; 08/12/16 07:55 PM. Reason: Typos