We cannot afford homeschool so this is our current solution. We are fortunate that we are able to do these extra things but think about the families who cannot afford to pay for outside help frown

I completely agree with this sentiment which is why I find removing tracking from public education so offensive and absurdly unfair.

It is precisely those of lower income/resources who will bear the brunt of this. While over time high intelligence may tend to be more often found in the children of upper middle class parents the minority of high IQ children whose parents lack the means, e.g. the children of first generation immigrants, will suffer the most from this policy for obvious reasons.

These are the very children that education should be targeting as education and hard work combined can help lift a family out of poverty and dependence on welfare programs. Assuming that the children are highly educable, of course.

I think that this policy is based on the unsound belief that all children are equally educable. So, the reasoning goes, to track means that the gifted children (who, the myth insists are only so because of parental income) are getting resources from the district that should be shared more equally. So the gifted kids are in truth getting nothing that NT kids could use.

The people implementing these policies are apparently ignorant, blind or both to the fact that the <98% percentile kids (allowing a bit less due to margin of error) will not thrive in a class aimed at >=98th percentile kids. Either that or they are very aware and seek to prevent lower income families' children from competing with their own in the future.

It just makes me sad but also not a little grateful that I have been lucky enough to (so far) provide my daughter growth opportunities outside of school.

Last edited by madeinuk; 08/12/16 05:36 PM.

Become what you are