Platypus101: Thank you for everything you said in the post. These heartfelt thoughts are so important to me right now as I'm struggling with exactly the same issues. Our doctor felt that, based on what we told him, that DS has been ADHD all along. Not very serious, and he was able to compensate for it quite well even though it probably was quite taxing at times. But when depression hit this year, he is no longer able to compensate. He hopes that the treatment for ADHD and depression will help each other and bring DS out of a bad cycle.

I have been trying very hard to understand this "won't" vs. "can't". I think I'm making good progress, but sometimes the particular struggle was so frustrating that I could lose sight. Especially when new situations come up, it can be really hard to figure out when to push and when to let go. I'm also very worried about DS losing confidence in himself. I want him to know that he can still do everything that he wants to do in his adult life, there might simply need to be different ways for him to get from here to there. His school counselor also did mention exactly what you said, that it's actually nice that he is dealing with all these now with full support, instead of later in college or while having a job and raising a family.

But at times I really feel so tired, soooooooo tired.

I ordered the Smart and Scattered for teens book.