Re:health, yes it is frustrating to a kid who really needs a break from school. But I agree with you, that at least it is a very good course- not difficult, just lots of great, practical info, everything from CPR certification to detailed sex Ed, and I am glad our kids have the opportunity to learn it. I just wish it was a bit easier to fit in all the requirements our state has! Our summer health class is every day, M-F. Kind of rules out much else for that portion of the summer, but it is still more practical for most kids than taking it during the school year.

And I'm impressed your district was able to make such a big move in the schedule. It seems unlikely here, as the NY regents exams are late in June, and are required for graduation, so unless that changes, we will have that huge gap in classes with May exams like AP. I guess I wish there was less teaching directly to the tests, which drives a lot of the problem.

Congrats to your DS on making the upper level band, too- sounds like he has a lot to be proud of!