My DS17 is now officially a H.S. senior. Grades aren't officially out but DS did pull a few grades up at the last hour. He's always good at taking finals. It's the homework grade that always pulls him grades down. His grades aren't what most parents would wish for but they are better than last fall and will keep his GPA stable. And he is really happy he made it into the top level band for next year. The extra-curricular's he has chosen will make next year interesting.

But I feel like the end is in sight and this kid will graduate and hopefully get into college somewhere where he will want to go. I worried a lot when he was in junior high that he would end up as one of those kids who ended up hating H.S. and who dropped out of school. I thought a lot about alternatives to traditional H.S. and considered other options. But despite my many worries, this school has turned out OK for him. (Not great.. but he has found his nitch.) Because of anxiety, stress, and his low processing/working memory there was no way DS was going to manage a full load of honors courses.

Next week will find out how his first shot at the SAT's turns out. College Board gave him extra time because of his 504. That extra time was likely helpful but it made a really long test quite excruciating. Crossing my fingers he did well enough we won't feel he needs to take it a second time nor need tutoring. He already needs to spend 3 weeks of August taking online Health, a pile of AP Physics summer homework, practicing his instrument and work on those college essays on top of Marching band camp. But he has 6 1/2 weeks of activities where he doesn't have to think about school work. He's busy & will be out of town. It's fun outdoors activities with no academics that he needs to rejuvenate himself. Am I alone if feeling resentful for all the extra stuff that gets thrown in break time?

Last edited by bluemagic; 06/09/16 08:57 PM.