So in my experience, NWEA gives you a great place to start a conversation about a child's achievement and how well they seem to be learning. If the school uses them for placement, the scores may also be relevant to that conversation. I would also encourage you to be armed with additional data, however, as most schools are hesitant to place a student solely based on NWEA data. Has he taken any out-of-level or ability tests? These will help you show that the strong achievement scores are not just an accident.

Those scores definitely should help you start the conversation. You will want to utilize the NWEA norms chart that illustrates that he may be showing growth indicating that he already grasps concepts several grades up - he is likely in the 99th percentile not just for 2nd grade, but probably even a couple of grades up: http://www.sowashco.org/files/department/rea/2015NormsReport_Reading.pdf. The RIT score will show where he fell in various grades on his testing. With my DC, those types of scores have never been a complete fluke. I would also be watching that NWEA math score closely. Will he score close to that again? My DD grew like that a couple of times and each time, the first time it happened, I assumed it COULD be a fluke and it could drop back down...except it didn't wink

Could you ask to have your DS take the end of 3rd grade test? This would give everyone an idea of how well he knows next year's curriculum. At a minimum, it will allow teachers to have him focus next year on what he needs to learn next, but I am going to take a wild guess that your DS has already mastered 3rd grade curriculum and needs to work with a higher grade level in math. Also, it is helpful for a school to see where a student is within their curriculum.

Is he older or younger for grade? Would it possibly just be easier to accelerate a whole grade?

HTH!