Originally Posted by Platypus101
assessment can also be helpful for simply developing a better understanding of your kid and their needs, especially with the kinds of kids that are particularly asynchronous, and have a lot of variation in strengths and weaknesses. Even when you can see for yourself what those strengths and weaknesses are, there is something quite different about looking at neutral data and realizing, for instance - OK, wow, he really does need math way more complex than what he's getting, maybe I need to take that a bit more seriously. And he really *can't* write any faster than that. It's not *won't*, it really is *can't*, and he needs help, not "try harder". I think neutral data gave me that little bit of extra confidence I needed to fully parent my kids the way they needed, and not the way everyone else did and thought I should conform to.
Yes, this. DS was not being challenged enough last year (K) but was quite happy. However, it became really clear to us just how underchallenged he was after we got ability and achievement assessments done for him. It was kind of shocking how far from his zone of proximal development they were teaching to.

Those are, in fact, quite high scores, even among gifted kids. Generally the independent school norms are going to be the lowest because those schools are generally a lot more selective about their student body.

Have you discussed the results with her teacher? The CTP-4 measures really specific things, and there is often more to the story than just test results that the teacher should be aware of. For instance, when DS took it this year, she was able to tell us why he did well (or possibly scored lower than was believed to be his real ability) on the various subtests. It was really helpful information that provided a lot of context around said scores.

Last edited by George C; 05/27/16 07:24 AM.