For us, the two key questions are always: Is she happy? Is she learning to learn?

A child in a poorly-matched educational environment often becomes frustrated or anxious, and may start to shut down or act up. Spending your life waiting to be allowed to learn is very demotivating. Forced constant socialization with kids who don't share your interests and think you are weird can be depressing.

Other kids enjoy the social scene and aren't fussed by the lack of challenge in school. However, if they are effortlessly obtaining top marks for too long, well - - - more than a few of us have experienced the unpleasant reality of finally being in a university course that requires hard work, errors, perseverance and good study habits. And discovering we possess none of the above.

So, if you think your kid is happy and challenged, then she's probably in a good place for as long as those two remain true. If any of the above raises alarm bells, though, then you may be wanting to look for some changes. Some people find the necessary challenge out of school. Others look for different school environments. The latter is where you may need testing in order to obtain access to certain options.

Final thought: assessment can also be helpful for simply developing a better understanding of your kid and their needs, especially with the kinds of kids that are particularly asynchronous, and have a lot of variation in strengths and weaknesses. Even when you can see for yourself what those strengths and weaknesses are, there is something quite different about looking at neutral data and realizing, for instance - OK, wow, he really does need math way more complex than what he's getting, maybe I need to take that a bit more seriously. And he really *can't* write any faster than that. It's not *won't*, it really is *can't*, and he needs help, not "try harder". I think neutral data gave me that little bit of extra confidence I needed to fully parent my kids the way they needed, and not the way everyone else did and thought I should conform to.