Originally Posted by Loy58
In terms of the CCSS math changes, we have seen our local schools remove acceleration, only to find they needed to add it back in as the CCSS were not so horribly rigorous for the top students. The schools now offer a compacted 6th/7th class.

This wouldn't surprise me at all -- we're in bad timing while they are in training/transition. Maybe it'll be back in a couple years.

With that math RIT on the 2-5, he is well into the range where we have to wonder how well that version of the test is actually measuring him (and our schools do the same, btw). NWEA would appear to recommend that students in that range take the 6 grade and above test.

I agree about the MAP test version. His fall score was his first, and it was a 240, so maybe they didn't think he would have as much growth? He said he had way more questions than anyone else did (over 70), but no indication he took the 6+ test. It does show me that exposure to higher level math is what he needs, as he grasps and remembers very well. Up til this year, he was frustrated -- they didn't offer much differentiation, and we don't after-school. Incidentally, this winter, his state grade-level tests (a year accelerated, but only 2 months in new grade) said he showed 2-3 years growth across the board, which just made me laugh -- it's just that the old test didn't go high enough. Does an EXPLORE math score of 16 suggest anything in particular? It was his lowest score, and, again, showed me how instruction exposure plays a part (that was only a few weeks into the skip). The IAAT will help; they don't go solely by MAP.

If you decide to do AoPS, I would not skip the pre-algebra class without giving it a close look. It is fairly challenging, perhaps, in some cases, even more so than a standard algebra class. DD did learn to solve challenging problems while doing AoPS!

I have heard great things about that pre-Algebra class, and I enjoyed the Rusczyk speech linked earlier in this thread, especially how to apply problem solving tools rather than become a computer/do the work of a computer.

I was thinking that if the school pushed for math 6 (because, resistance!) with no acceleration, despite accumulated scores, maybe we should home school math 6 and AoPS pre-Algebra, then have him take the placement test next year for Algebra I and go into that in 7th -- depending on how it all plays out. Not sure how that would all work out. Could even do math 6 in school (but I think the pace and repetition might be tedious) and do AoPS outside of school. Just not sure how to rate the value of math 6. I've gathered from the comments that scoring straight into Algebra is possible, but perhaps not wise regardless, not without a summer pre-Algebra class, and we're not in a hurry for that -- I just want him appropriately challenged and engaged.