Hi there, I'm new so I'm hoping that I'm posting in the right area smile My 10 year old (5th grade) will be going into middle school next year and I am trying to find the right placement for him in math. The GT program here is pretty unhelpful, but after months of asking, I finally got the GT teacher to proctor a 6th grade NWEA math assessment to see if it helps us to figure out where he should start in math in middle school. He scored a 247. I've looked the score up and it is very high for a 5th grader and is also in the 95th percentile for end-of-the-year 6th graders. I have been "homeschooling" him in math for this last year since he had progressed past what his elementary school could provide - he is doing Thinkwell 7th-8th grade math online and working his way through a Pre-Algebra Art of Problem Solving textbook. He is also part of CTY and has done math classes through them in the past. What I would like to know is whether a 7th grade pre-algebra class will be an advanced enough placement for him next year, of if I should try to fight to get him into the 8th grade Algebra class. The school is resistant to acceleration so my guess is that getting a 7th grade placement for him as a 6th grader will be the best I can do. I don't know enough about how the NWEA math scores are interpreted to tell if he is performing around the level of an entering 7th grader or entering 8th grader as far as math goes.

Thanks!!
Melisa

Last edited by Melisa; 04/12/12 02:39 PM.