Your post reminds me that when my DS was in 2nd grade, he used to be bored to death in math class. He got into many troubles in the classroom with the teacher every week. School had mandatory MAP tests 3 times a year, DS scored in 250s at that time, but his teacher was dismissive regarding DS' ability and only addressed discipline issue. Things changed dramatically in DS' 3rd grade. New principal came in and they started new GT program. GT teacher pulled DS from 3rd grade math to 5th grade GT math. A few weeks later, his teacher told me that they have to move DS again because his comprehension and retension was far better than the best 5th graders in her class. And DS' MAP score (268 in mid term 3rd grade) proved that too. The schedule mismatch made the next move quite tedious. We are very lucky to have the new principal to work it out. GT teacher even sit in DS' first math class with 6th graders just to make sure he felt comfortable. And he did. DS9 is now working with 7th graders in pre-algebra. Still not much challenge for DS as he was still best in the class. But the real deal is having opportunies to take the AMC8/mathcounts with the peers matching his math ability. That made DS very excited.