Originally Posted by ElizabethN
Originally Posted by Thomas Percy
I am curious how you feel about that. Are we serving the kids well by diagnosing more these days? Do you feel like your childhood would be better if you got more services back then?

That is a very interesting question. I feel that I did not really "need" a diagnosis, but I also am far from certain that I would have been entitled to one. It probably would have made my life easier in middle school, but I don't think it would have made much difference in high school and it very likely wouldn't have done anything for me in college.

DH probably would have been more likely to be diagnosed than I, but I think that he also did fine without it. On the other hand, he went to a private high school, so he would have had less services anyway.

I think part of the reason why more high functioning Autism or Asperger are identified is how intensely social schools have become. Group projects, discussions, writers workshop, etc. Even introverts without diagnosable conditions have trouble in the early school years now.