Originally Posted by Willsher21
Unbelievably the neighborhood public school offers grade acceleration if we need it and offers math acceleration as well, the principal told us they have a few kids who go to middle school for math classes and then they drive them back to the elementary school for their regular day of classes.

While our school was not as welcoming of grade acceleration, they do bus a few kids to middle school for math. However, I think the timing was such that sometimes kids missed a few minutes of some things, and it had other cons (or so they say -- for all I know, it's just budget reasons).

Now they're saying they will accommodate those working 1 year ahead within their current class ("high quality differentiation"), so only those 2 years ahead would go up (to pre-Algebra). I'm not impressed with this idea, as my DS has been grade-skipped, but he's not getting sufficient math extension in the new class (hearing complaints about already knowing things), but I don't know that he's ready to be 2 years ahead, due to exposure to terminology and such. I don't know that his teacher gets how quickly he 'gets' things once he's had it taught.